Friday, January 10, 2014

I'm Still Not Moisturizing!

Over the last couple months I have watched many people come to my blog to read my moisturizer withdrawal guide and "attempt" to learn how to effectively do MW. There has been a slight problem though. Only one or two of those people have actually followed my method correctly! All others have instead tried to reinvent the wheel. My method was the result of thousands of hours of research, and trial and error. Folks, I have already tried many of the ways you are trying and those ways are NOT near as effective as the method I spelled out in my MW guide post. This is why many of you aren't seeing the same results.

Many have decided to just reduce how much they moisturize instead of complete MW. One person I know of is attempting MW by taking hot showers instead of Dead Sea salt baths. Hot water strips the skin of all oils and is damaging to the skin when in TSW. Reducing moisturizer application instead of stopping it will not do much for you. Neither will attempting to decrease it over time and then stop. These ways only cause people to suffer more and come to the belief that MW isn't very effective. Then they go back to moisturizing and wallowing in self pity.

My method works extremely well, and if you truly want to be successful at MW in the most effective way, you must do it correctly. Unfortunately, I don't have many people to back up my claims about my method, only because most think they can accomplish the same thing in a different way. You can't! Yes, you can find some success, but not the kind of success if you were to do it correctly. Doing it the wrong way or in a half-assed way and then saying it doesn't seem to make all that much difference is really cheating others from knowing the truth about just how effective MW is with TSW. The ones who have done my method correctly have seen great success. One such example is Ruth. She posts here once in a while but is doing so well now she is busy with having her life back so she doesn't post that often. She does email me privately all the time with progress reports and I can tell you she is very pleased with the results!

There are a few long time TSW sufferers who seem to desperately want to prove that MW isn't very effective. What can I say that I haven't already have said? These particular people seem to enjoy being miserable and that's their prerogative. They seem to want to prove me wrong in the most desperate of ways. I think most people that have been around for a while understand why. They will hold out one or two examples of people who have healed using moisturizers the whole way and say see! So an so healed in 14 months without doing MW. Good lord! The examples are usually of people who took well over a year to heal. And, very important to note, all of them are people who are very young. All 5-6 of them lol. How are the other 99% doing? Well, some are 4 years into TSW, some 3 years, many 2 years. etc. People that are in their 20's heal a hell of a lot faster than people in the 50's. I would expect these people would have healed slightly faster if they had done it without using moisturizers. At a minimum, they would have had a far easier and more comfortable journey to their final recovery.

Some will say it's way too hard. These are people who have been in TSW for a long time and doing MW at that stage is actually very easy and not hard at all. Doing MW within your first two months of TSW with very serious skin barrier damage is a hard landing. I know I did it. The second time I did MW it was a breeze compared to the first time. I know if I were at month 4, 8, 12, 18 etc., MW would be so easy to do at that stage. If done in an effective way that is.

I've tried to help many people by encouragement them to do MW on their blogs, and many of them have decided to give it a shot. But, most have done it in a way that isn't very effective. Some people have done it in an ineffective way to disprove it works, in my opinion. I believe this to be a subconscious thing and not necessarily done on purpose.

So, I have given up on posting on other peoples blogs and encouraging them to do MW. It has been mostly a fruitless effort on my part when people decide to do it, but do it the wrong way. And then exclaim how they saw only limited results! Not to mention the ones who do it and loudly express how it didn't work for them. This is so detrimental for people who haven't tried it and are waiting to see how others do. Not to mention all the new people to TSW that come along daily.

If you truly want to get the benefits that myself and many others have from MW, you need to do it in the most effective way. If you do it half-assed then please keep your opinions on it to yourself if possible since you really aren't doing it in an effective way. We don't want to scare new TSW's from doing MW as it is extremely beneficial. And please, don't try and change a method that is tried and true. Don't try and reinvent the wheel and then loudly exclaim how it isn't very effective! It's fine if you want to say "your" method wasn't effective. But your method isn't true MW, and many of you aren't doing it right by using the proper techniques.

MW is zero moisturizers, not tapering moisturizers, or using less moisturizers. There are many things involved in doing it effectively that people just aren't doing. So, for you new TSW's out there, don't listen to these naysayers and do yourself a big favor. Do MW in an effective way if you really want to find comfort.

12 comments:

  1. I have said this is so often, that I now cut and paste it:
    I was so uncomfortable before MW that I was no more uncomfortable without moisturizers. For me "dry and itchy" was better than "moist and itchy" because if I scratched soft, moist skin I tore it up and inflamed it more than if I scratched dry skin. My skin has toughened better without moisturizers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan has been coaching me in MW for just under a month now--I think. I wanted to comment, one on his commitment to this working, and two, my own personal experiences with Dans' methods.
    First, thank you Dan for doing the research and putting it out there. This has saved me countless hours of compiling information myself, even though intuitively, my skin has been screaming to not use anything for months now! (can skin scream?!?).
    I want to make clear, the moisturizer was never, I mean never working on me. I started withdrawal in June, and then couldn't take it and went back on low strength steroid. That helped for awhile, but never cured anything..and then it started to not work and burn. I finally decided to quit and do the TSW in late September of 2013. And, I got progressively worse even though I was using very little moisturizer. The itch was unstoppable, unbearable and starting to become painful. Through another blog, I found Dan's site and started peppering him with questions...well, inundating is a better and more specific word. He has kindly agreed to coach me thru this, and I mean kind. I've emailed him with all the misery and success that goes along with this method, but overall I absolutely attribute a reasonably bearable month 4 of withdrawal to Dan. I am no longer red in my face at all, the red sleeves have just about disappeared and my hands are not swollen this winter. Not swollen, itchy, or inflamed.
    The DSS baths are not a total panacea for me. I still itch in them, after about 10-15 minutes and I definitely feel dry and itchy afterwards, but I do this Kanoodle thing where I cocoon myself between two down blankets. This makes the itch get more intense and then it dissipates as my body temperature regulates. I do this roughly 25-40 minutes after a bath. I think this is helping to bring back the natural skin oils I lost due to steroids. I can usually go about my day with brief itch attacks.
    Nighttime is difficult and I do use anti-histamine to go to sleep most nights so far, but I have had nights where I used nothing.
    I'm just coming out of a 48 hr flare. That's right. 48 hours. My other flares would last days and days. I balance all of this with eating the best quality organic food, bought directly from farms, that I can, cooking from scratch and taking supplemental D3 as well as the occasional shot of B12, cod liver oil and 1 cap of fish oil at 2400mg. (omega 3) I also drink a green smoothie daily (about 14-16 oz) and put flaxseed oil in it, again for the Omega 3.
    I do not smoke, never have and no longer drink alcohol. I still cannot give up chocolate, though!

    I think Dan's methods work well as is, or you can try them and modify slightly but you cannot go back to moisturizing or this isn't going to work at all.
    Thanks for letting me post, Dan!
    -Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, thank you and yes, skin can "scream" lol. Mine certainly did for a few months! It has been my pleasure sharing with you these past few weeks! As you know, your itchiness during the baths always perplexed me. Possibly I just had forgotten how bad my intense itching was in the early days of my MW. For me, the intense itching was the most severe and longest lasting symptom of tsw. But I do credit the dss baths to that itching subsiding to practically being non existent after a couple months of doing them every other day. Your itching will subside too as you continue to do the baths. At this point in your MW the dss baths are just for maintenance. As we both learned together, we need to "listen" to our skin on when we need to do a dss bath. For me, I do them almost daily when my skin is "screaming" or when I have open wounds. When my skin is calm I go as long as possible without them so my oils can come out.

      Delete
  3. You are 100% correct Dan - I was moisturizer free on 95% of my body for 2 months and the little spots I used neosporin on during work just kept those areas in a constant flare/red/pink state, I went 100% free of everything a few weeks back and now those few areas are finally clearing. I attribute my healing to both my supplements and the MW, but I would still be red and flaring through the healing from the supplements if I was still moisturizing. I am dry and itchy, but the itching is NOTHING compared to how the itch is when using something on my skin! I can finally sleep! And I shed about 75% less than when using moisturizers! I have slowed up on the bathing and never shower. My oils still have not really come back all the way but I feel way worse with using any water on my skin so I keep it limited. Thanks for all your encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tracy! That means a lot to me coming from you. And you put it so well. That has been my main message all along - about how much more comfortable I've been since MW, regardless of flares ( which last much shorter in duration than they do when using moisturizers), continued itching, and poor sleep. And how the skin gets so much stronger so quickly too. I went from a living hell to almost a feeling of being in heaven even with continued itching. TSW was very difficult for me in the beginning, but after doing MW it has been very easy and I have had my life back ever since. I'm flaring right now and back to doing baths but before this I was only doing a bath once every 5-6 days and had noticed by the 4th or 5th day my oils were coming back on my hands. So, they definitely will come back if you can stay out of water long enough.

      Delete
  4. These studies are worth repeating.

    Controlled Studies
    A series of clinical research studies have been conducted in order to evaluate the effectiveness of Dead Sea salts as treatment for psoriasis. According to several published studies, about 80% - 90% of psoriasis patients visiting the Dead Sea for treatment are either completely cured or significantly improve. Most of us don’t have the time or the money to travel to the Dead Sea, as a result more studies have been conducted to test the effectiveness of Dead Sea salts when used at home. The results indeed show that Dead Sea salts are effective in improving the symptoms of psoriasis – take a look for yourself!

    International Journal of Dermatology
    A 1999 study published in the International Journal of Dermatology tested one hundred patients with psoriasis who sought treatment in the Dead Sea. 75% of these patients were clear of their condition after four weeks of on-site treatment. Of this group, 68% remained clear (in remission) through 4 months, and 43% were clear after six months.

    Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
    In a 2003 study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, twenty seven patients traveled to the Dead Sea for treatment of plaque psoriasis. The treatment consisted of daily bathing in the Dead Sea and controlled sunlight exposure. 48 percent of the twenty-seven patients were cleared of psoriasis completely and stayed in remission. The other 41 percent demonstrated a positive response to the treatment.

    Israel: Dr. Zvi Even Paz
    In 1989, Israeli dermatologist Dr. Zvi Even Paz conducted a study to evaluate the effects of Dead Sea Salts on 50 psoriasis patients. It had already been established that bathing in the Dead Sea itself brought relief, but it was not known if the Dead Sea salts would have the same effect when used in different environments (such as a bathtub).
    47 of the 50 patients experienced significant relief after soaking in a bath containing Dead Sea salts. The best results came to those who soaked in two pounds of salts (divided into 3 baths) three times a week for six weeks.

    Germany: Dr. J. Arndt
    Dr. J. Arndt conducted a controlled study involving 50 psoriasis patients, between 14 and 77 years of age. All patients were treated using Dead Sea salts in partial or full baths and were treated with the salts in a controlled way. In a full bath, 2 kgs of the salts were dissolved in a bath at a temperature of 27 C. The partial baths were made with a concentration of about 10%. The baths lasted for 20 minutes and followed by a rinse. The patient remains in a warm, packed condition after the bath to enhance the effect of the salts.

    The treatment lasted for 3-4 weeks, with 3-4 baths per week. Within only one week of treatment, symptoms diminished, including itching and scaling joints. Other symptoms such as spread, redness and infiltration continued to decrease. Improvement was steady- after four weeks, patients were clear of all symptoms.

    The symptom patients were most concerned about was itching, and they were thrilled to be relieved in less than one week. Sleeping disturbances go hand in hand with the itching and are widespread in psoriasis patients – and sleep also improved in Dr. Arndt’s study.

    Both patients and physicians in the study interpreted the drastic decrease in discomfort and scaling within one week.

    Healing was complete in 27 patients (54%), and in the other 22 cases, there was vast improvement in their condition. Tolerance to the treatment was excellent in all patients involved in the study, and none of the participants experienced any side effects whatsoever, dermatological or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healing Properties
    The following list details some healing properties of the minerals found in Dead Sea Salt:

    Magnesium: Aids sleep and relaxation, promotes quick healing of skin tissue and provides the skin’s surface with anti-allergic elements, essential for cell metabolism.

    Bromide: Soothes skin, relaxes body muscles, and calms nerves.

    Iodine: Important for the correct functioning of the thyroid gland and aids in the body's metabolic exchanges.

    Sulfur: A natural disinfectant (constituent of certain vitamins). Known as a powerful detoxifying agent, as it works closely with the liver to rid the body of toxins.

    Potassium: Helps balance moisture in the skin and body, aiding in the reduction of water retention and in the nourishment of cells. Potassium also regulates the nervous system.

    Calcium: An essential mineral, known to strengthen bones and teeth. Also strengthens cell membranes and cleanses pores.

    Sodium: Relieves stiffness and muscle cramps. Sodium is also a powerful detoxifying agent, helping cells retain nourishment and expel waste.

    Zinc: When applied topically zinc is known to boost the immune system. Internally, it is a key factor in enzymatic regulation of cell proliferation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dan, My question is what do you say to people who try MW you way and still see no results?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I guess I would say that person likely did something different. Hard to tell with no info to judge by. I used to believe that not moisturizing during tsw would speed up the recovery process. I now believe that not to be the case. But, I most certainly believe that moisturizing SLOWS the recovery process. Common sense is the key here. A good understanding of how the skin functions can leave no other conclusion.

      I haven't posted a new post in many months but plan to very soon with pics showing my hands 99.99999% healed. I'm not 100% recovered, but certainly am very close. The important thing to keep in mind about moisturizing is it not only slows healing, but it also makes one extremely uncomfortable while recovering. Just my opinion of course. But, most who have taken that route agree, so just maybe there is something to it :)

      Delete
  7. I've read some of your posts declaring that MW is the /only/ way to heal from TSW. May I suggest that you either remove those posts or edit them because they are giving false hope to people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never said that MW is the only way to heal from tsw, dumbass! MW is merely a 10-14 day process of stopping the use of moisturizers and adjusting to NOT using moisturizers. God, you are fucking dumb! Go away....

      Delete