Friday, April 18, 2014

Your Most Effective Tool For Healing Is Not What You Think, Or Is It?

There is a story which doctors commonly like to pass around to each other which goes something like this: I had this woman who came into my office 40 years ago when I was just starting out my practice who said she was sure she had cancer. I did some tests and assured her she didn't have cancer. She came to my office every year for 40 years saying the same thing, "doc I just know I have cancer, it runs in my family". I would always do my best to assure her she was fine and send her on her way. She would say things like "I know I have cancer now will you check me again?" Well, one day after 40 years I did my usual tests to show her she was fine but discovered she had cancer. When I told her she had cancer she exclaimed rather loudly "I told you I had cancer!"

What I want to pass along to you is this: the mind is more powerful than the foods we eat, the supplements we take, exercise, MW, etc etc. In fact, the mind is so powerful we can make ourselves sick, and we can also heal ourselves with the ways in which we think on a daily basis. Have you ever noticed that really negative people are always sick? That really positive people are always healthy? It does not matter what you eat as long as you believe it won't harm you. Same goes for many things. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "mind over matter". There is a direct correlation between what we think and how our bodies react. Think stress. Think emotions. Our bodies are made up of trillions of cells all communicating with one another at lightening speed. What sets off the communications is the thoughts in our heads, and past thoughts still in every cell in our body. Our thoughts truly manifest physically in our bodies. This is quite clear in how the placebo effect works.

Over my lifetime I have tried everything from the strictest of diets, herbs, supplements, drugs, you name it. What I have learned though is the mind has a much more powerful effect on the body than all these things combined. This is why I cringe when I read in peoples blogs how they wish time would just pass so they would be done with their topical steroid withdrawal. Time really has little to do with healing. Time is nothing more than a concept. All we have is the "now", the present moment. The future and past only exists in our minds. Learn to live in the present moment to avoid the pitfalls of the mind dwelling on past regrets, future worries etc. Here is a quote from one of the most spiritual beings on this planet:

“Time isn’t precious at all, because it is an illusion. What you perceive as precious is not time but the one point that is out of time: the Now. That is precious indeed. The more you are focused on time—past and future—the more you miss the Now, the most precious thing there is.”

― Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

Letting Go Of Psychological Time By Eckhart Tolle

"Learn to use time in the practical aspects of your life — we may call this “clock time” — but immediately return to present-moment awareness when those practical matters have been dealt with. In this way, there will be no buildup of “psychological time,” which is identification with the past and continuous compulsive projection into the future.

Clock time is not just making an appointment or planning a trip. It includes learning from the past so that we don’t repeat the same mistakes over and over. Setting goals and working toward them. Predicting the future by means of patterns and laws, physical, mathematical and so on, learned from the past and taking appropriate action on the basis of our predictions.

But even here, within the sphere of practical living, where we cannot do without reference to past and future, the present moment remains the essential factor: Any lesson from the past becomes relevant and is applied now. Any planning as well as working toward achieving a particular goal is done now.

The enlightened person’s main focus of attention is always the Now, but they are still peripherally aware of time. In other words, they continue to use clock time but are free of psychological time.

Be alert as you practice this so that you do not unwittingly transform clock time into psychological time. For example, if you made a mistake in the past and learn from it now, you are using clock time. On the other hand, if you dwell on it mentally, and self criticism, remorse, or guilt come up, then you are making the mistake into “me” and “mine”: You make it part of your sense of self, and it has become psychological time, which is always linked to a false sense of identity. Non-forgiveness necessarily implies a heavy burden of psychological time.

If you set yourself a goal and work toward it, you are using clock time. You are aware of where you want to go, but you honor and give your fullest attention to the step that you are taking at this moment. If you then become excessively focused on the goal, perhaps because you are seeking happiness, fulfillment, or a more complete sense of self in it, the Now is no longer honored. It becomes reduced to a mere stepping stone to the future, with no intrinsic value. Clock time then turns into psychological time. Your life’ journey is no longer an adventure, just an obsessive need to arrive, to attain, to “make it.” You no longer see or smell the flowers by the wayside either, nor are you aware of the beauty and the miracle of life that unfolds all around you when you are present in the Now." Excerpted from Eckhart Tolle’s The Power of Now, pages 56 to 58.


"According to Deepak Chopra our deepest thoughts and feelings play a significant role in the healing of a patient. This has been seriously underestimated in western medical practices. The body is constantly recycling every atom in every cell. In a year’s time the body is completely renewed and every atom in every cell has been replaced.

 Then what exactly is it that keeps that tumor in its place if the whole body is rebuilt every year?

 Deepak explains that the blueprint for the physical body is the subtler quantum body. Diseases appear in this quantum body before they manifest in the physical body. As long as the disease is not removed from the quantum body, the blueprint, the body will continuously reconstruct the body along with the tumor.

According to Deepak the mind has the capability to produce every drug that Hoffman La Roche sells only at no expense, in the purest form and in the perfect dose.

The ability of the mind to heal the body may explain the well know placebo effect, the effect whereby a patients is cured by his own suggestion since he has been administered only a dummy. The ability of the mind to heal the body could also be at cause in the miraculous spontaneous remissions of cancer that have been reported so often in the medical files but for which there is no medical explanation.

 The nocebo effect is the opposite effect of the placebo effect; it is the negative effect that the doctors’ diagnoses have on the cure of their patient.

 Therefore the doctor-patient relation is of a crucial importance in the healing process. It is a western ethical code that the patient has the right to know his medical condition in all cases, however the drawback is that when a doctor straightforwardly gives a patient the diagnosis ‘you have an incurable cancer sir’, he has actually given his patient the death sentence.

 The diagnosis ‘incurable’ kills the patient’s last hope for a cure and along with it his mental abilities to heal himself, besides that he will probably have a mental shock as well."

See: http://angelicview.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/the-healing-power-of-the-mind-with-deepak-chopra/

Ok, back to me talking now. I am not a very educated man. Just self educated with few social skills. But, after studying books by both Tolle and Chopra for decades I have a complete understanding of how our thoughts actually do manifest our reality, not only in our body, but also in our external universe as well. I am far from being where I want to be spiritually but will never forget the lessons I've learned from these two highly enlightened people, and still practice as much as I can to change my thought patterns and behaviors to create a better world for myself and others. The book that initially got me interested in this decades ago was a very short read called the "Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" by Deepak Chopra. I highly recommend people read this book over and over and then move on to some of the other books by these two authors. "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle is a must read for those who want to learn how the ego works against us and how to learn to separate yourself from it and to understand that you are not your body. You will also learn how to rid yourself of the built up emotional pain body you carry with you, how to live in the moment, and many many important things.

So, back to the title of this post. The most effective tool you have for healing is your mind. Use it wisely and be richly rewarded. Again, all the diets and supplements we take will do us little good if we don't use the power of our minds effectively. The mind has far more power over our healing than all of those things combined. Thoughts manifest physically at lightening speed. Just a couple brief examples: Man sees a woman and becomes aroused. The "arousal" first starts in the mind via thought, and then manifests physically in the body. Man sees food and salivates. Man gets upset at something and blood pressure skyrockets. Pulse beats faster. The physical reactions begin with the thoughts. Learn to harness this power by observing your thoughts and changing them to be whatever you want them to be. All of our actions are choices whether they be subconscious or conscious. Learn to make conscious choices by constantly observing your thoughts as they come and go. This way you can create the realty you want to create and not the one you subconsciously create.

Don't just look to moisturizer withdrawal, clean diets, and supplements for your healing alone. Learn how to use your mind to heal as well. It is much more powerful than anything I know of. Remember, what you believe is what you will create. I believe, if we combine a good mindset to go along with things like moisturizer withdrawal, clean diets, and supplements etc., we can surely optimize our healing.

I will be 100% healed from my own topical steroid withdrawal in under one year. I try not to say I "hope" to be. I say I "will" be. Big difference. It's all about the belief systems. Few people understand these things which is why there is so much pain and suffering in the world. This will change eventually when enough people become "conscious".

That's it for today folks. I'll post my 11 month pics in about a week, and then my final pics one month after that. After that I'm off to other things I've neglected for the past year. I wish you all a quick and comfortable healing.






15 comments:

  1. I have to say I tried this years ago - can't say it worked - if it really works then I should have been able to stop the TS and all would have been well. I believe that the mind has some influence on our health - but it plays a role just like anything else does - clean air, clean diet, MW, etc. I believe in a holistic approach. That's just me and we are all entitled to our opinions and personal observations. As a nurse I have seen MANY people try to take this approach - healing with the mind in other words. Never judged them, but never saw it truly work - people still died or continued to get worse regardless. Some people gave up while others continued thinking they could alter their outcome by their positive thoughts. Of course in the hospital I saw the worst cases - there may be thousands of people healing themselves with the power of their minds at home that I will never know about. So if it works great, if it doesn't, I say try a holistic approach - changing many aspects of one's life to better the outcome of the illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tried it with my hep C many years ago and I couldn't rid my body of the virus until I did conventional medicine in conjunction with the mind work, diet, and herbs. I believe this was only because my cells and DNA still had the old memories and I am not a fully enlightened person who has eliminated all fear and pain from my body. Actually, I am very far from it but am still learning, or I should say still practicing. I was told my odds of beating my hep C with the conventional treatment were 11%. I believed different and it worked for me. If you were to study in depth, and understand what both Tolle and Chopra teach, I think your opinion would be very different :)

      I encourage you and everyone to read their books, especially the two I mentioned. Chopra's Seven Spiritual Laws of Success can be read in an hour but I've read it over a thousand times and learn something new every time. It's a truly amazing book worth more than it's weight in gold a thousand times over, and it's in layman's terms that is easy to understand. But I found I didn't really understand parts until I was ready to. Even though I thought I did at the time. Tolle's The Power of Now is also amazing and very in depth. It goes into our egos and the role it plays in keeping us in the past and the future. How our egos keep us in turmoil and in an unconscious state. The ego's goal is to survive at all costs. It actually covers a lot of amazing stuff. It takes much longer to read and although I've read it probably 50 times I still learn more each time. It's the practicing part that's hard for me. Undoing a lifetime of learned behavior can be very difficult for some people. At least for me anyway.

      I know first hand how powerful the mind can be from an experience when I almost died from what a doctor had told me. I watched my body deteriorate over a 7 day period to where I nearly died because I was told I was going to die. I believed it with every cell in my body and boy did my body adjust to that new belief very quickly. It turned out when my test results were all in I had nothing wrong. My body recovered just as fast as it deteriorated. I saw how my thoughts manifested major physical changes in my body. It's the same thing as the placebo effect. Belief systems are extremely powerful as the placebo effect proves. Much more powerful than foods are.

      I'm not saying to forget about eating good foods or don't take supplements because you can do it all with your mind. I'm saying the mind is actually more powerful than these other things if we can harness that power, which we can. And by using it in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle you have a huge edge. I hope anyone would read and understand what these spiritual teachers have to say before they disagree with them. Chopra explains how the body has an amazing capacity to make any drug needed for itself. But again, one needs to read these books and understand the teachings before they can utilize the ability that's there in all of us.

      Delete
    2. Hey Tracy, I was re-reading my post here and have changed some wording I wish I had done before publishing it. The following changes have been made:

      USED TO READ:
      "Don't just look to moisturizer withdrawal, clean diets, and supplements for your healing. Learn how to use your mind to heal. It is much more powerful than anything I know of. Remember, what you believe is what you will create."

      NOW READS:
      "Don't just look to moisturizer withdrawal, clean diets, and supplements for your healing alone. Learn how to use your mind to heal as well. It is much more powerful than anything I know of. Remember, what you believe is what you will create. I believe, if we combine a good mindset to go along with things like moisturizer withdrawal, clean diets, and supplements etc., we can surely optimize our healing."

      I use plenty of vitamins and other supplements myself and didn't want my post to give the impression it was a simple matter of using one's mind. It isn't that simple for most of us. I wanted to express that using one's mind in conjunction with other things can make a difference. Thanks again for commenting. I wouldn't have caught this error if you hadn't :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely think this is true to a certain extent.

    I find that most people are desperate, seeking quick fixes and stressing over why they are in such a predicament with TSW. However, to just accept it and face it head on, knowing that healing is at the end of the road has helped me immensely as far as keeping my stress level down. I don't think we can literally change our physiology (this is my bias due to a science background) and something like TSW still has to run its course but the experience of it can be completely changed with the proper mindset.

    In my last post I indirectly was trying to address this by "living as if" because I'm sure I will be healed soon. Lol, I think people prefer the posts about pain and suffering sometimes because it is more relate-able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan,

      Please come join the new forum and help us get some discussions going. It would really be appreciated and very helpful for the entire tsw community. Thanks, and hope to see you post something there soon! No pressure to post if you want to lurk though just so you know. I'm sure you will eventually see a discussion you'll want to chime in on. If not, no problem.:)

      http://forums.nomoresteroids.com

      Delete
    2. Is that forum still alive ? I can't seem to find it

      Delete
    3. Apparently it is gone. I didn't know it was. It never did catch on for too many reasons to go into here.

      Delete
  3. Hi Megan, thanks for commenting. It can't not be true. The placebo effect proves that. The certain extent you mention depends on how enlightened one is. I just wanted to pass the info along since I know not many people are aware of just how powerful our thoughts are. I know only because I've studied this stuff for many years, until the point where I finally understood it all. It took me a very long time and although I understand it, I still need to fully practice it, which I don't. I do though as much as possible, but it's very difficult to change learned childhood patterns. Some can do it very easily and some like me have a much more difficult time of it and have to continuously practice.

    A major key to this is observing your thoughts and changing them to be positive if they are negative thoughts. Non judgmental if they are judgmental, etc. The act of observing one's thoughts is half the battle. And they are truly more powerful than any food or supplement one could ever take. These spiritual teachers didn't get to where they are by selling snake oil. We all create our realities with our thoughts but few people understand this and live on auto pilot using subconscious behavior patterns learned through our childhood, and "react" to the world without thinking, rather than "flow" with it.

    I used to make myself sick by feeling what I thought was the onset of a cold and then sure enough it would set in the next day big time because as soon as I felt anything coming on I just knew I would get sick. Sometimes within just a few hours. After I learned this info from Chopra and others I changed how I "think" and when I feel a cold coming on I just tell myself it ain't going to happen. No way Jose. And it doesn't anymore. Have never had a flu shot and haven't had the flu in decades. Not bad for someone who eats a crappy diet, smoked all his life, done more drugs than a typical pharmacy has in stock these days (that was many moons ago). It's amazing I have any brain cells left, but like I said our thoughts and beliefs have an amazing capacity to make us sick, and to also make us heal. It is up to us to use it wisely. We are not our body or our mind but many people identify that way. I am not my body. My body is flesh. I am nothing more than energy inhabiting my body. All of us are connected together in the same quantum soup where all the knowledge of the universe resides.

    Belief systems are very difficult for some people to overcome but when you realize the connection between our thoughts and how those thoughts effect our cells you get a whole new perspective. This is why it's so beneficial to watch comedy's when one is sick. Laughing and happiness cause healing to accelerate whereas worry and depression does the opposite. Anyway, the two authors I mentioned explain this stuff a whole lot better than I can. I fully understand it after many years of reading and wanting to understand it. But I'm not very good at explaining how it all works.

    There was also a very interesting movie made a few years ago called "What The Bleep Do We Know". It also touches on this subject. The evidence is everywhere for those who wish to know it. Kind of like MW and dss baths I guess :D Has anyone noticed I rarely complain about my symptoms even when they were at their worst? There was a very good reason for that :)

    Anyone out there familiar with this stuff want to chime in? Part of their teachings is to not defend your point of view and to not force yourself on the world. So you know I still have a long ways to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly, I'm horrible at articulating myself. LOL. I was saying for the most part I agree and in terms of TSW, most people make themselves worse by wallowing in their misery, anticipating itch, etc. The mind body connection is definitely strong and many are not in touch with it at all, let alone even acknowledging its existence.

      I completely agree about using objective words instead of judging and it applies to all facets of life. A good example is dieting: Most people who are on a diet will describe a high calorie meal/weekend as a cheat or as falling off the wagon. This kind of puts them in that mindset of oh, now I'm a cheater so I suck, etc. And thus it starts a downward spiral caused by one negative judgement.

      Extending that to sickness, I definitely think that there's a reason why people who are hypochondriacs are always sick. Again, going back to the stress thing, if one is under constant stress that they are going to get sick, that stress actually causes their immune system to become weaker. I'm in the same boat as you, not getting sick that often and never getting flu shots. Sure, I do have the occasional flash flu but it is quite rare compared to the people who are on top of their seasonal flu shots and in constant fear of the next big sickness.

      What I mean about it not being able to control your physiology is in an example of something like cancer. The mind body connection would have to be quite strong in this case and an individual with such mental acumen would be exceedingly rare. And it's difficult to fight the oxidative effects of the environment if one has a predisposition to mutations which cause cancer.

      Anyway, I hope that clarified my point of view. I realize I came across as contradictory when in fact I was trying to support your argument!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry but your wrong. I am the one who doesn't articulate myself very well, not you lol. You do great! I wish I could articulate half as well as you. I understood you completely. You definitely have a good grasp on this stuff. You said:

      "What I mean about it not being able to control your physiology is in an example of something like cancer. The mind body connection would have to be quite strong in this case and an individual with such mental acumen would be exceedingly rare."

      Exactly! That is why I was trying to convey to everyone reading that although few of us are as enlightened as some of the great teachers are, monks, etc., the potential is there in all of us, and if we recognize that we can learn and use it to our advantage.

      When I did my conventional treatment for hep c it was a grueling year long treatment that kept most people in bed puking. I cruised through it because I used my mind to aid me. I tried for two years very hard to do it on my own but couldn't and a couple years later I concluded it was only because my dna and cells still have memories and fear. No matter how hard I tried to believe my old belief system had more power than the new one I tried to set. However, my odds were 11% of beating the hep c with that treatment and I know I beat it by combining mind work with conventional treatment.

      I took on a battle mode mentality fully knowing I would win and I did. That's what everybody sees from me on the web during my tsw. I'm really a pretty likeable person when I'm not battling a major health problem. Belief is extremely powerful and is likely responsible for most miracle cures that most people credit God for. Don't get me wrong, I believe in God. Just not the same God that many different religions believe in.

      Delete
  4. Hi Dan,

    Nice thread. Like it a lot as I do feel my meditation practice (in addition to MW) had an absolutely AMAZING effect on my rapid healing. I was able to stop an itch trance with meditation and breath practice. This is why the Buddhists call it a "practice" as it doesn't involve a destination end point that is final. I like Eckhart Tolle .I go to a weekly mediation practice taught by the great Tara Brach and it gets my mind off of itchy skin and puts my attention elsewhere.
    Thank you for reaching out to me today. This is off topic, but I posted on Tracy's site and thanked you both (again!)
    -Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan,
    Great post! Thanks for all the MW advice. I'm almost 3 months in MW and doing well. The only challenge I've got is an upcoming beach trip for a week, where I'll need sunscreen. I'm worried that it will cancel out all my MW and I'll flare again! Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth,

      The following is my opinion only and not advice. Sunscreen blocks the UVB rays and other things we desperately need for our skin from the sun. I would NOT wear any kind of sunscreen, natural or toxic. I would just use clothing and a hat when appropriate to not get sun burned and be careful how long I expose my damaged skin. Beach umbrellas whatever. I would get as much sun on my skin as possible w/o getting burned. I hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Very helpful - thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking, too. I have some long cover-ups, and a big hat. And I'll time it so that I can get some exposure, but not too much.

      Delete
    3. Hi Beth,

      Please come join the new forum and help us get some discussions going. It would really be appreciated and very helpful for the entire tsw community. Thanks, and hope to see you post something there soon! No pressure to post if you want to lurk though just so you know. I'm sure you will eventually see a discussion you'll want to chime in on. If not, no problem.:)


      http://forums.nomoresteroids.com

      Delete